Monday, January 26, 2009
I know all the health reasons for why I shouldn't drink it. And, I don't really care. Sort of like how a smoker knows cigs are bad for them, but it still isn't enough to make them quit.
I don't let my kids drink soda, ever. And so, like any addict, I convince myself that my kids will do as I say and not as I do. They will not follow my example, and they aren't really paying attention anyway.
Then today, I had this little scenario: I was getting ready to take Kenz to the Dr, so I told her to go out to the car and get in. I went out about 2 minutes later. She was hiding in the back seat, drinking the remnants of a week old diet coke. She had already polished off one other bottle that was atleast a few days old.
I said: "Kenz, what are you doing?"
Her: "Drinking diet coke."
Me: "That's a lot of soda at one time."
Her: " I learned from you."
What could I do? I am humbled.
I haven't had a Diet Coke in 8 hours. That is a new record for me.
Friday, January 23, 2009
It was a disaster. I got lost, atleast once, on my way to each home. I got lost on my way home last Friday night... and took a detour through scenic NJ. A trip that should take me 3 hours, took me over 5. I cried. And I swore. And I got more lost. And I cried more. And I fantasized that the five hours in the car was actually taking me to CapeCod.
This week I made the trip with my new best friend...
Yep. Borrowed from a friend who graciously offered it to me: Grace the Garmin!
I didn't get lost once!! And she figured out a way to get me home without going over the George Washington Bridge.
Now that's a true friend!!
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
1. Don't trust a 2 year old to sit quietly watching "The Wiggles" while you (the adult in charge) take a shower. Although this has been a successful routine for the previous 20 times that is was attempted, one never knows when the 2 year old might succumb to the lure of the whipped cream waiting in the fridge downstairs!
2. Don't leave a penny on the ironing board, and attempt to iron over it. Pennies RETAIN HEAT!! Who knew? And if you knew, why didn't you tell me. Oh yeah, and the penny retains that heat for quite sometime after the ironing is completed! So, don't try to pick it up!
You may consider this a public service announcement, brought to you by the burnt fingered Heidi.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Since this is my first award, I'll happily play along. My willingness to play might change as the awards start rolling in. **Laughing at my own silliness**
So, here's the deal: I'm supposed to post the text that is below, then identify 8 blogs I read that inspire me.
"This blog invests and believes the PROXIMITY - nearness in space, time and relationships! These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in prizes or self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers! Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award."
Here is my list. Check them out when you get a few minutes.
1. http://calebpotter.blogspot.com/. To me, this blog is a great example of what can happen when the blogging community comes together. Sharyn's writing is pure and eloquent. Her love for her children is palpable. The supportive and positive energy on this blog from it's followers is amazing.
2. http://triathletemom.blogspot.com/. Suzanne is a professional triathlete. However, her blog is about so much more than that. It's about life, with no sugarcoating of the tough issues.
3. http://thesmileonmyforehead.blogspot.com/. Jennifer is a survivor of Traumatic Brain Injury. She has some great insights into what it's like to live with TBI.
4.http://wasitforthis.blogspot.com/. I just found Sarah's blog this week. I especially like her lists on the right hand side.
5.http://npdiva.blogspot.com/. Because she's just too stinkin' cute! And, it's great to read about life from a college student's perspective.
6. http://momonbikemob.blogspot.com/. Peggy has inspired me throughout the winter to maintain an exercise routine. She has graciously been running a weekly contest, that she sponsors to encourage women to exercise thru the winter.
And, I think I'll stop at six. I know, those aren't the rules. But ask my husband, I'm not so good at following instructions!
Monday, January 5, 2009
Friday, January 2, 2009
- Wear cute little dangly earrings atleast 3 times a week. This means shopping at http://blingonastring.etsy.com/. The proprietor is currently on holiday, but when she returns, I bet she'll support my first resolution by posting some dangly things.
- Collect 365 rubber bands. That is one per day for the next year. There are rules attached to this resolution, which my friends insisted on. Like, I can't just buy a bag of RB's and give myself one a day.
- Eat Raisins and peanuts every day. This is a tribute to Mark, who was a great athlete, and inspired me often.
- Prove (or disprove) Julies theory that "it's all grapes".
- Learn how to use those damn "pull buoy" thingies in the pool without drowning myself or drinking gallons of wonderful "Y" water.
- Pull a "Doohickie" and score something like this: http://doohickie.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-bikes.html Because, to the best of my recollection, I have never yet done a dumpster dive.
So, there you have it. 6 ways in which I will make my life fuller and richer in the next year!