Monday, March 15, 2010

Answers for the Foot Mystery

Saturday I did a scheduled bike ride. It was a high intensity workout to get a sense of lactation thresh hold- meaning that the purpose of the workout was to go so hard that I wanted to hurl. It was awesome! I averaged 5mph faster than my normal workout- and maintained it for 30 minutes. By the time I finished, I could barely walk. My quads were screaming for a break.My knees ached. My feet throbbed. Even Jack and Mack thought I looked and smelled disgusting:)

I showered, and got dressed to go to my Great Uncle Pete's memorial service (More on that later) I popped a few ibuprofen and went on my way.

Then, later that night, I was sitting on the couch with the kids. I flexed my foot, and something snapped. It sent my foot into immediate muscle spasms, with swelling and a bruise. I iced it, took ibuprofen and elevated it right away. But, I ended up crying myself to sleep with the pain.
Sunday morning the pain and swelling were worse. I waited for urgent care to open, and headed over there for some Xrays. Those showed nothing. The Dr. thought I probably ruptured a tendon. So, she wrapped my foot, gave me crutches and a post-op shoe and instructions to follow up with Ortho.

I woke up this morning, and again the swelling and pain were worse. Despite the fact that my drill sarg...I mean really supportive husband made sure that I iced every 20 minutes, and didn't get off the couch all day.
I managed to get in to ortho this afternoon. This is one of the Dr's who consults with the NY Giants when they are in town for spring training. So, I know he's good. Before I even let him look at my foot, we talked about my lifestyle. I told him that it's important he understands that I'm not a 40 year old soccer mom, who's main goals are to wear cute shoes, and shop in the mall all day.
More xrays ensued. Then a diagnosis. Stress fracture with possible tendon damage. Now, I am in this lovely piece of DME:

I'm looking at 2 weeks in this beautiful piece of hardware. I can try swimming in a week, but nothing before that.When I looked frustrated by the news, the Dr said, "of course, if you want to change your personal goals, and just go shopping for some cute shoes, we can treat this much less conservatively."
He does not play fair!

I think the worst part about this, is that the bike ride I had that day was such a high. I got off the bike that day, knowing that if I could maintain that pace in a race, I'd be placing significantly higher in my races this year.


Doohickie said...


Rough break.


PLA Anderson said...

Aw Man! Sorry to hear and see that. Hope you heal fast!

Staci Dombroski said...

Oh my goodness! I hope you get better quickly!

PennyCandy said...

As I've said before this is yucky and it stinks out loud.

Hopefully it will heal well, even though it will be slower than you want.

Listen to the doc and don't push it, let it heal.

Love you.

Anonymous said...

i truthfully love your posting choice, very charming.
don't give up and also keep posting for the simple reason that it simply just nicely to read it.
impatient to look into way more of your own article content, good bye!

NP Diva said...

How'd your swim go last night?

HeidiTri's said...

thank you, Anon.

NP Diva- haven't hit the pool yet. It's still too sensitive to touch.