Thursday, August 28, 2008

How do I get myself into these things. Or; Training for a Triathlon

In June I bought my first bike in years. The original motivation for the purchase was to use it for commuting to work on most days. But, because I'm me, I very quickly became addicted to the speed factor. (Why do I always have a need for speed? It gets me into trouble more often than I care to admit.)
Within 2 weeks of commuting to work, I decided that I'm going to do a triathlon. Not a big scary Ironman, but a little tiny Sprint Tri. I let a few select and incredibly supportive friends in on my secret, and began training. I'm riding my bike lots, and swimming a little. Running a few days a week, and doing "brick workouts". This is when I often ask myself, "what are you thinking?"

I've chosen my race. It's the Buzzard's Bay Triathlon, on September 28. Kevin has agreed to race with me. Well, he won't really be racing with me, because he is much faster and stronger than me. But, we'll see each other at the start and finish lines.

So how did I get myself into this? I still don't really know. It seems like I often get a crazy idea or impulse and then act on it with out thinking the whole thing through. And now I'm committed to it. I mean, I bought the Tri shorts and new sneakers already. Plus, I test rode a new bike 2 weeks ago. Yes, I know my current bike is only 2 months old, but she's really for commuting. I could go much faster on the new bike that I'm eyeing. (Theres that need for speed thing again.) Doing a Tri justifies the need for a faster bike!

For now, I'm trucking along on Pip, and getting ready to embarass myslf in September. Feel free to send me any words of wisdom or training tips, because I really have no clue about what I'm doing!

Peace.
Heidi

No comments: