Thursday, November 12, 2009

Help is on the Way!

I need help with my swimming.Desperately.
I learned to swim as a kid, at the town lake. The lessons were free to all town residents. Now don't get me wrong. I am eternally thankful that my Mom took the time to bring me to these lessons every summer. She sat on the cold beach with all the other Mom's and watched us learn to swim, year after year. This was even more special, given the fact that my Mom doesn't swim, and I don't think she likes lakes or pools. I'm also thankful that this was a completely fun, noncompetitive environment, because I was able to develop my love of water and swimming without any stress.
But, with all that being said, the fact remains that I have zero technique. In the past 2 years, I've taught myself a few of the basics. Like, bi-lateral breathing and to keep my head and shoulders down. But truly, I'm clueless.

So, when I saw a post on Beginner Triathlete, looking for people to try this out, I jumped at the chance. I emailed Kevin Koskella of Tri Swim Coach, and told him I'm interested in trying his program. He agreed, and now I'm waitng (anxiously)for the DVD to arrive!Lord knows, I need all the help I can get!

In other news, I ran 4 miles outside today! In shorts and a t-shirt! This is an amazing thing here in upstate NY on November 15!

3 comments:

Felicia said...

hmmm...I wonder if this is a phillips thing because my mom doesn't swim, either! Good luck with your training!

PennyCandy said...

I think it is a generational thing. A lot of people I know that are our parents age do not know how to swim. Or they taught themselves how to swim.

Heidi I'm glad you are excited about the DVD and improving your technique.

We have two completely different views about those summer lessons. I hated them and would have loved it if I could have just stayed on the beach or better yet stayed home.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i swam a bit as a kid too, never very good really. I got back in the pool about a year ago again when I was injured from running, and struggled... bad. It's really quite humbling. I just joined a Masters swim team in my area, and am already noticing progress! Very exciting about the DVD, hope you get a lot out of it! :D