Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Best Parenting Advise Ever

Yesterday was my Dad's birthday. I won't tell you how old he is, but if you go here http://pennycandystwocents.blogspot.com/2009/05/dad.html
she spills the beans on him!

Seriously, PC gave a great tribute to our Dad. And, since she is the oldest, she gets that honor.

The only thing I'll add is that my Dad gave me the best parenting advise I've ever received. That was, "You shouldn't have to yell at your kids. Just develop a look that lets them know you mean business."

And I realized, he was right. My Dad did yell sometimes (what parent doesn't). But, he also had a look that could stop me in my tracks. I took his advise, and developed a "look" of my own. It works well. Sometimes too well. I've had (usually younger) co-workers who have said to me "oh no...I just got 'the look' " when they have crossed a line somewhere.

Anyway, Happy Birthday Dad! Thanks for being rock solid and never waivering in your love for us.

2 comments:

PennyCandy said...

Yeah Dad never gave me that advice. But I developed that look somewhere along the line anyway. No Dad's advice to me was do not get married or have kids at as young of an age as your mother and I did. So I got married at 22 instead of 21 and had son number 1 at 24 instead of 22. Hey I followed his advice.

Felicia said...

I think that's pretty good advice!