Thursday, April 1, 2010

Bookin Feet Part 2

A few weeks I wrote about Bookin Feet, the group I created for Girls, Inc. in town. I think it's time for an update.

We've been meeting weekly, and it's been awesome! We've been continuing to read "Sahara's Special" and the girls seem to enjoy it. The group can be as big as 7 girls on some weeks, but there are 4 girls that are there every time, and seem to really love running and reading. The fluctuation of attendance has made the reading a little difficult. The books stay at Girl's Inc for the week,so if some one misses a week, they've missed at least a chapter. I'd love to find a sponsor to purchase a book for each of the girls. Then, they could have it when we're done with the group.

They can now run .8 of a mile with out walking! Since we only meet once a week, I think that's pretty good. Many of the girls live in area's of the city that prohibit them from going out to play and run around safely. That means, they only get to exercise at school and during our sessions. As the weather is getting nicer, we'll be able to spend more time outside. That should help us improve our distances.

I love the enthusiasm these girls show. This past week it was raining, windy, and about 40 degrees out. As soon as I walked in the door, they were begging to go outside and run!So we did!Well, they ran. My foot is still broken, so I cheered them on, and kept time for them.

This week, I'm researching some area 5k's that are scheduled for around the end of our session. Next step, for me to contact a few of the races, and see if they will let the girls run for free. Wish me luck on that!

I've created a Facebook group. In the hopes of branching out and finding some people who might want to volunteer time, or purchase books, or help cover the cost of T-shirts for the race. Check it out and join!

Hey- it never hurts to dream!

1 comment:

Felicia said...

Sounds like you guys are off to a great start!