Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sometimes, it's the little things.

Last night was the meeting of "Bookin' Feet". We had a pretty big group of girls this week, and the weather was beautiful. The challenge for me was to find a place where they could run for some distance, and I could stand in the middle and see both ends. We found a hill in the park that is about .10 of a mile long. The goal for them was to run down and back as many times as possible.
We started with some warm up exercises, and two of the girls seemed very uninterested in participating. They were dancing and being fairly inappropriate for being in a park. So, I called them on it pretty quickly. I asked the one girl flat out, "Why are you here?" She didn't have much of an answer, but her whole attitude changed. Girl # 2 tends to follow the first girl. When girl #1 isn't at the group, girl 2, is a great runner. SO, I told her that. She came around pretty quickly too.

Then the real run! Those two girls both ran a mile! Another girl ran 1.2, and another did 1.4!! There were 2 other girls, who each ran about .5 of a mile, but I don't think either one was feeling well.

At the end of the run, I pulled out 4x6 note cards and wrote:
4/13/2010
[name] ran 1 mile today!
And, half of it was uphill!

It was such a little thing. But, you know what: Each of those girls held onto those cards for the rest of the day. They showed their parents when they were picked up, and 2 said they were taking them in to show their PE teachers.

Sometimes, it's the little things that make all the difference.

-Peace

2 comments:

Pining for Pinterest said...

You are so right! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Doohickie said...

Good to hear the girls are sticking with it. You actually have a bigger group than I thought.