Here is my list, comprised from hearing many horror stories over the years:
1. A stuffed animal. No self respecting woman over the age of 13 really wants a stuffed animal as a gift. Not for any occasion.
2. A vacuum cleaner. Especially when the reason is something like this: "Well my vacuum in the garage broke, so I thought I'd give you the new one and take the old one to use out there."
3. Chinese food ordered in.. UNLESS she suggests it. Otherwise, it just looks like your trying to skimp out on the holiday. In which case, be a man and admit you don't want to "do" Valentines day.
4. Lingerie-unless you know for a fact she loves to wear it. As in, she wears it even if you're not around. Otherwise, it's really a gift to yourself. Because, trust me, it's never comfortable stuff.
5. That piece of jewelry at the chain store that's been marketed like crazy for the past month. It's unoriginal which makes it unromantic. Sorry. If you're doing jewelry, put some thought into it.
And last but not least...
6. An actual VD.
PS: Kev- if you're reading this, new running shoes spell romance to me!