Monday, November 3, 2008

Runners High

Last week I commited to these work outs:
Monday: Swim 750 yards
Tuesday: Run 30 minutes after work.
Weds: Bike 30 minutes after work (swim if weather is bad)
Thurs: rest
Friday: Run 30 minutes after work.

For those who asked how I made out, thanks for asking! The answer: Not SO great.

Monday: Swim 900 yards. Yep...That's a full 1/2 mile. It never sounds that long to me, until I clock a half mile on my car odometer. Then I think "Oh my! That's a long way to swim!"
Tues: Freezing rain, snow and wind kept me inside. GRRR.
Weds: Laziness, and Kevins work schedule prevented a work out.
Thurs: 40 minutes on the elliptical at the Y.
Friday: No work out. Jack was sick, so I didn't get out after work. Oh well, that's life with kids. They'll always be my priority when push comes to shove.
Sat: Nothing
Sunday: 3.2 mile run!

So here's where the "Runners high" title becomes relevant. There is a phenomenon for runners called the runners high. Essentially, runners spend our career chasing it. It is that perfect run, where every thing comes together seamlessly. I had that run yesterday! It's the second time I've had it in my life.

The first time occurred when I was in 9th grade. We were at a sectional varsity cross country meet, with several other schools. There were over a 100 female runners for the varsity race. Everything came together that day, and I finished 14th! For a 9th grader, that was pretty impressive.

Yesterday, I set out with a goal to run an easy 2 miles. By the time I hit my mile marker, I knew I was having a great run, so I changed my plan for the route and hooked a left instead of a right. I was now committed to a different (harder) loop. Again, I got to the next turn point, and felt too good to head back home just then. So I kept going straight. All of a sudden, I realized that I was on a route that I haven't tackled in 4 years! There is a tough short/steep hill at the end, that always scares me a little! I got done with the run, with shaking legs and a huge smile! It felt great to be out there. I didn't wear my watch, but I'm pretty sure it was the fastest time I've had in a long time. I woke up twice in the middle of the night, thinking about the run (and smiling). Now, THAT'S why I run!

So for this week's goals: Swimming, running and maybe a Zoomba class at the Y. I've never done one, but it sounds like a lot of fun!
Peace.

4 comments:

Felicia said...

Cool! What's Zoomba? Sounds interesting...

HeidiTri's said...

I don't know exactly what Zoomba is. It's an aerobics class offered at my Y. I walked by it a couple of weeks ago and there was african beat music. Every one was loud, and you could feel the positive energy coming out of the room.

PennyCandy said...

Good for you. I haven't worked out in a week because I popped my neck. How is your uncle holding up when you run?

HeidiTri's said...

B.
Sorry about your neck. What do you mean that you "popped" it out?
My ankle/foot are doing amazingly well! I think it's the benefit of cross training in the pool and biking.My foot doesn't have to take the pounding that it gets from running 5 days a week.