Monday, September 22, 2008

6 Days to go!

Last week did not go quite as planned! It was a definite test of my patience, as Jack and Kenz both seemed to be determined that I would not get in any morning workouts!
Let me explain that to get in a morning workout, I have to be up by 5AM, and out the door by 5:10. Which is not bad, when Jack sleeps through the night, and doesn't wake up at 5:05. It was a frustrating week, with minimal workouts, because of sleep issues.

So on Tuesday I got a short run in after work, but no 5k in the AM. "That's alright, I'll go tomorrow." I told myself. Wrong! Jack was up from 3AM until 4:55AM, so I just didn't have it in me to go for a run. But, my 750 yard swim that evening actually turned into a 1/2 mile!!
No bike time all week until yesterday morning, when I did atleast 15 miles, and a short run after that. Kenzie did the first 1/2 mile of the run with me, which was awesome! She totally kept me motivated.

I did get a 5k in on Friday, but nothing on Saturday, due to Kevin's work schedule. At this point, I'm hoping to get a few short workouts in this week, but the focus is really on tapering a little so that I'm strong and ready on Sunday.

Mentally, I'm in a good place. I'm ready. I have developed some solid "scripts" for myself to fight fatigue and keep myself going. Kenzie's enthusiasm for me is palpable, which is a huge motivator.

I also finally admitted that my neck and shoulder have not been right since the fall I took off my bike a few weeks ago. So I called my chiropractor and saw him for an adjustment on Friday. Now I feel much better!I'll see him again this Friday before we head to the Cape, for one more adjustment.

2 comments:

Felicia said...

I can't believe Kenzi runs a half mile with you! She's in better shape than me! lol!

PennyCandy said...

Wow Heidi I am so proud of you. I will be there in spirit and sending good thoughts your way. What are Kenz and Jack going to do while you and Kevin compete? I'm shocked that Kenz ran with you considering she just got over being sick.