Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Something Big on the Horizon

This past week I've had an opportunity come my way that I'm pretty excited about.

It combines two areas of my life that I am quite passionate about: Work and working out. I'll explain. As many of you know, I work with adults who have had a Traumatic Brain Injury. I love this job. The guys I work with are incredible. They are strong and true survivors. This past fall I was asked to be a founding board member for a fledgling Not for Profit called "Mindful Journeys Mentoring" (MJM). This is an incredible project for people with TBI's to help each other. But, I'm afraid I am digressing. ANYWAY...we have applied for 501c3 status and are now in the position to begin developing the actual Mentoring program. To do this effectively, we need money. So, as a member of the Development Committee, I have started researching the possibility of having a 5k run/1mile walk as a fund raiser! We're looking at early October, and are in the very early stages of research and planning. But I'm already learning a great deal about organizing an event like this! See the coolness?! Hanging out with people who are incredibly inspiring to me, and organizing a run! How awesome is that?

Here's hoping it works out! There are many pieces of information to bring to our board meeting before I get the approval to go ahead with it. So, keep your fingers crossed, and if you have any experience organizing something like this, please give me some advise about what to do and ask as I go along.

Be safe. Have fun. Peace.

3 comments:

Felicia said...

Wow that's an exciting opportunity! If I lived there, I would totally take place in the 1 mile walk. That would be so easy! I don't see how anyone can say no to walking that short of a distance and for such a great cause! Now, I do have a friend who is miss event organizer. She actually interned with an event planner in NYC and she now works for the Relay For Life in Wisconsin. She's on my friend list on fb so feel free to search my friends for her and shoot her an email. I'm not sure if she'll respond quickly b/c she's always super busy...but it can't hurt to ask and tell her you're my cousin. Her name is Erin Wall. Good Luck!

Doohickie said...

When you're famous we'll be able to say, "We knew her when..."

PennyCandy said...

Oh my gosh how perfect is this. I would be there with Felicia if I could. Maybe this will become one of those big events someday like the Susan G. Komar walk.

Here's pulling for you.