Thursday, October 29, 2009

Heading Toward Healthy!

Good news! Jack has his cast off! It looks like he had a hairline fracture in the growth plate of his knee. The Dr. feels it's healed. Jack is still limping, but I'm todl that is normal. Being me, I am worried that it hasn't really healed. So, I'm keeping a close eye on him.

More good news! Shayna is also almost all better! She went back to the ENT today and was cleared to return to school. Since my parents are awesome, they are going to drive her down to NP tomorrow. That way, she doesn't have to be on the bus, and walk up to campus from downtown.

Running news: I managed to get myself to the Y tonight and hit the treadmill. Of course, when I got there, I realized that I didn't have my orthotics with me. This caused a moment of panic for me. Please understand, these are custom made orthotics that I got after I ruptured the tendon in my foot. They are a life saver for me, and the only reason I was able to return to running. I took a deep breath and thought about my options. Going back home wasn't an option. Hitting the bike would work, but I hate the seats on the gym bikes. My current sneakers are brand new, so they haven't conformed to the shape of the orthotic yet. Hmmm- do I dare try to run?

Yep.

I cut my planned workout down, just to be safe. Instead of 45 minutes with a 5 minute walk, I did 10 minutes of walking with 30 minutes of running. I'm glad I took the chance, because so far my foot feels okay.

So, that's 2 runs done this week! My goal is to either do one bike and one run, or two more runs. We'll see how that works out.

2 comments:

Felicia said...

Oh I hope little Jack heals correctly, too! Greg has to use orthodics, so I can sympathize with your momentary freak-out! Glad the chance you took didn't cause any pain!

PennyCandy said...

I would be keeping an eye on him too.

I'm glad Mom and Dad could take Shay back to school.