Friday, October 16, 2009

Nature vs. Nurture?

Jack fractured his leg. Possibly in 2 places. We have no idea how or when this happened. All we know is that yesterday morning, when he woke up he couldn't put any weight on the leg at all. He seemed fine when he went to bed the night before.

How does that happen?

We know he fell on the hike this past Sunday. But all the bruises and cuts are on the opposite leg. We can't think of any other time in the past week that he really hurt himself. We went to the playground on Weds night. He ran and played and never complained of being hurt. He was cranky when we came home, but I thought it was because he was hungry.

Then yesterday morning he got up, took about 5 steps, and that was it. That was all he could do. I took him to the orthopedist. They feel he fractured the growth plate in his knee, and possibly his tibia also. Xrays were negative, but apparently that is common with "toddler fractures"

I've been trying to figure out how this could have happened. What did we miss? When did it happen?

Then, I started thinking about the whole nature vs. nurture discussion. Our family has a long standing history of "tough guys". My Dad, is the quintessential "tough guy" when it comes to injuries. Several years ago he shattered his hip. He spent the night at home before he was willing to go to the hospital the next day.

When I was a teenager, I fell off my bike and hurt my shoulder. I never told my parents, because I didn't want to go to the Dr. Years later, when I was x-rayed for something else, the Dr informed me that I had broken my collar bone at some point in my life. I assume it was from that fall.

Before we went to the Dr, Jack kept trying to convince me that he was all better, and didn't need to go. He even tried to walk a step to prove the point. It didn't work.
Then at the Dr's Jack didn't complain once. He just sat through the exam, the x-rays, and the casting with his jaw clenched and a look of determination on his face. How does a three year old do that?
Is that Nurture: Something Kevin and I and society have instilled in him at such an early age? Or, is that Nature: some genetic link passed from my Dad to me, to Jack?

It's always an intriguing question to me.
I don't think we'll ever know for sure how or when he broke his leg. For now, we'll be thankful for the quality care he received yesterday, and that he seems to be on the mend.
-Peace.

6 comments:

Felicia said...

Poor little guy! That's a huge cast! I guess the bright side of not knowing when or how it happened is that it sounded like there weren't many tears! How long does he have to wear the cast??

PennyCandy said...

In Jack's case I think it is a little bit of both. The mentality of walk it off shake it off or whatever.

Hey at least it is a cool blue.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

awww. poor kiddo! Hope he's recovering!

Life Is What We Make It said...

He's doing awesome! I keep forgetting he even has the cast on when has past on until he goes to stand up!

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

It isn't hard at all to start making money online in the undercover world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat blog[/URL], You are far from alone if you have no clue about blackhat marketing. Blackhat marketing uses little-known or misunderstood ways to produce an income online.